Doing Research, Framing up a lengthy thesis with hundreds of pages, working consistently for longer hours. Yes, I am talking about a Ph.D. degree, the highest ever academic degree awarded after an in-depth course study in a certain specific field.
All the aforementioned tasks demand from you a well-set laptop, indeed and I am sure there could be some of those reasons for why you are in quest of the best laptop for Ph.D. students.
Busy? Have a look at the top picks:
Let me guide you a little regarding this.
When seeking out a laptop for such a tedious workload, do keep in mind that the memory must at least be 8GB, storage needs to be ample (better if expandable), processing of the laptop must be faster enough, the screen must be wide so that your research and typing, etc. become fun to do and lastly the battery, yeah it must be supportive. A laptop, performing best in these five major departments, is just what you need.
The List of Best Laptops for PhD Students in 2022
Our Top Pick
|Lenovo ThinkPad X1 |
Features: 4″ FHD IPS and Anti-glare display, Backlit keyboard, Intel UHD Graphics 620, Strong privacy
|Acer Swift 3 |
Features: Thin and lightweight, AMD Ryzen 7 4700U processor, 10+ hours battery life
|LG Gram Laptop |
Features: 5.6″ full HD IPS LCD display, Backlit keyboard, Fingerprint sensor, 20+ hours battery life
|Latest Apple MacBook Pro |
Features: 13.3″ IPS and LED-backlit Retina display, Captivating backlit keyboard, Up to 20 hours battery life
|HP – Spectre x360 |
Features: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Graphics, Wide Vision FHD IR webcam, 15.6″ UHD diagonal IPS WLED backlit display
|Microsoft Surface Pro 7 |
Features: 12.3″ 2K 2736 x 1824px touchscreen display, Intel Iris Plus Graphics, Slim and lightweight
|HP Pavilion x360 |
Features: WLED backlit narrow edged touchscreen display, Intel UHD Graphics, HD webcam
Keeping all this in mind, I have prudently picked the top 7 best and feature-packed laptops for you and I am sure you will find the best in all the aspects, discussed earlier. So let’s jump down and explore.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon – Best Laptop for PhD Students
- 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8265U Quad-core Processor
- 8GB LPDDR3 SDRAM and 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD storage
- 14″ FHD IPS and Anti-glare display, with 400 nits brightness
- Intel UHD Graphics 620 integration
- Dolby speakers and 4x 360 degrees far-field microphones
- 802.11ac Wireless-AC 9560 Wi-Fi 2×2 and Bluetooth 5
- Thunderbolt 3, HDMI port, and audio jack
- Backlit keyboard and most secured privacy
Getting started with the Lenovo, the best laptop for PhD students and their tiresomely heavy work.
This laptop has a competent 8GB memory and an efficient 256GB SSD storage. It has been integrated with the 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8265U Quad-core Processor having a base speed of 1.6GHz whereas a boost-up speed of 3.90GHz and 6M smart cache. The Windows 10 Pro serves as the Operating system.
The display characterizes a 14 inches IPS, Anti-glare screen with stunning 400nits of brightness and a Full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080px. It has Intel UHD Graphics 620 support as well. Its beautiful backlit keyboard ensures that your consistent typing does not stop even at night times too.
The wireless connectivity comprises 802.11ac higher bandwidth Wi-Fi 5, AC-9560, and Bluetooth 5. The laptop comes with top-notch security comprising of the safest to the date fingerprint reader and ThinkShutter privacy webcam cover.
The 4x 360 degrees far-field microphones perform excellently in all your conferences and video meetups and the Dolby AtmosSpeaker audio system provides you some crispy sounds. It is packed with a beautiful mouse pad.
- Fast processor, efficient RAM, and storage
- Eye-catchy display
- Comfortable and glittery keyboard
- Stringent privacy
- So lightweight
- No optical drive
Acer Swift 3 Laptop for Phd Student
- 14″ FHD 1920x1080px IPS, LED-backlit display
- AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-core Mobile Processor
- 8GB LPDDR4 SDRAM and 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD storage
- Backlit keyboard
- Windows Hello via Fingerprint
- HD webcam, and crispy audio
- USB 2.0, 3.0, and HDMI ports
- 10+ hours battery life
- Ultrathin i.e. just 0.63″ and 2.65 lbs in weight
The second on my list is quite an in-budget and heavily feature-packed pick for you.
Acer Swift comes with a 14 inches FHD 1920 x 1080px IPS and LED Backlit display integrated with AMD Radeon Graphics support.
The laptop has an 8GB LPDDR4 memory and 512GB SSD storage and has been powered with the AMD Ryzen 7 4700U Octa-core Mobile Processor with a base 2.0GHz and maximal 4.1GHz speed and 8MB max L3 Cache.
This 0.63″ thin and 2.65 pounds the lightweight laptop is the best solution for those who are always on the go. Packed with some stunning specs including a beautiful backlit keyboard, Windows Hello via Fingerprint sensing, and the 1280 x 720px HD webcam, just awesome.
The latest 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and Bluetooth 5.0 ensures speedy wireless connectivity and 10+ hours battery stand, although depends on the workload, but still handy in emergency situations.
There is a generous distribution of USB ports and the Operating system is Windows 10 Home.
- A strapping processor
- Supportive memory and mighty storage
- Backlit keyboard, security intact, and easy sign-in
- Advanced and snappy wireless connectivity
- So easily portable
- A little dull touchpad
LG Gram Laptop – Intel 10th Gen Core i5 with UHD Graphics
- 10th Gen Intel i5-10210U Quad-core processor
- 15.6″ FHD 1920 x 1080px IPS, LCD display
- 8GB DDR4 SDRAM and 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD storage
- Backlit keyboard and a Fingerprint sensor
- Intel wireless-AC 9560 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
- 20+ hours battery life
- Just 2.4 pounds
Life’s Good! Guessed right. The third one is an LG’s beast.
The laptop features a captivating 15.6 inches IPS LCD display with a Full HD 1920 x 1080px resolution and Intel UHD Graphics plus support.
It has been powered with the robust 10th Generation Intel i5-10210U Quad-core Processor which has a 1.60GHz base speed, 4.20GHz maximal speed, and a 6MB Intel Smart Cache. The operating system is Windows 10 Home (64-bit).
Just fit for your workloads, the 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD storage do things efficiently and support all your hectic multitasking. And the super long-lasting battery can have a stand for 20+ hours but yet it depends on how much load you put on it.
Some additional features include a backlit full-size keyboard, an easy sign-in, and intact security with the fingerprint reader and the 3x USB 3.0 and HDMI ports, audio jack, and SD Card reader.
It has undergone multiple Military Grade tests hence you can’t question its durability and endurance.
- Super snappy processor
- Mighty memory and storage
- Sturdy design and durability assured
- Remarkable battery stand
- Lightweight and easily carriable
- The sound may not be that good without earphones
- Not an LED screen
Apple MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Chip – Best Mac for PhD Students
- System on Chip (M1) Octa-core processor
- 13.3″ diagonal, IPS, and LED-backlit Retina display and
- Facetime HD camera
- 500 nits brightness and vivid display
- 8GB unified memory and 256GB SSD storage
- Octa-core GPU and 16-cored Neural engine
- Captivating backlit keyboard, Touch Bar and Touch ID
- 2x Thunderbolt/USB 4, Thunderbolt 3, and USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports
- Up to 20 hours battery life
It’s the universally admired Apple, the fourth one on my list being the best laptop for PhD students.
This really classy MacBook comes with some furious and never seen before specs due to the integration of M1 Chip into it.
M1 Chip? Google it, and you will stay stunned.
This next-level beast has an Octa-core processor, delivering some 2.8x faster processing than ever, and an 8-cored GPU, ensuring a 5x snappier graphics processing for graphic-intense tasks. Machine learning has been made 11x faster with the 16-cored snappy Neural engine.
The 13.3 inches Captivating diagonal, IPS, and LED-backlit Retina Display with mesmerizing 500 nits of brightness and True Tone tech support delivers you some vivid colors and cool overall visuals, and the ultra-responsive, efficient and quiet keyboard makes the work amusing.
Its ample 256GB SSD storage and an 8GB unified memory enable you to do all the feverish multitasking fluently. Thanks to M1 Chip, the storage is expandable up to 2TB.
It has a remarkable battery stand i.e. 20 hours with one charge, the best to date. The 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 guarantees high-speed wireless connectivity and does snappy data transfers with multifarious Thunderbolt/USB 4 and other ports.
- The best laptop regarding the overall performance
- Stunning display
- Speedy wireless connectivity
- Fastest data transfers via Thunderbolt ports
- Remarkable battery stand
- Easily portable
- A little expensive but worth the price
HP Spectre X360 15.6 Inch 4K UHD Touch-Screen
- 15.6″ UHD 3840 x 2160px diagonal IPS WLED display
- NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Graphics processor
- 8th Gen Intel Core i7-8565U Quad-core Processor
- 16GB DDR4 SDRAM and 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage
- Backlit keyboard, Wide Vision FHD IR webcam
- 802.11b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi 5 (2 x 2) and Bluetooth 4.2
- 1x Thunderbolt 3 and other ports
- 15+ hours battery life
My fifth top pick for the Ph.D. students comes with an enchanting 15.6 inches diagonal IPS Brightview and WLED backlit display. The resolution is 3840 x 2160px i.e. 4 times better and captivating than the normal FHD display.
Adding, the screen is touch support and there is an Active Stylus (Pen) packed with it empowering you to create your ideas and play straight on its screen. The NVIDIA GeForce MX150 Graphics processor with a 2GB GDDR5 dedicated memory enhances your overall graphics experience.
Powered with the 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565U Quad-core processor, 16GB memory, and 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage, it electrifies your intense operations and provides you an ample space to store your important data. Keep working for hours and hours with its fine 15+ hours battery stand.
Its comfy backlit keyboard eases your work in a dim light ambiance. The operating system is Windows 10 with inbuilt Windows Ink for touch-oriented features etc. The Bluetooth 4.2 and 802.11ac (2×2) higher bandwidth Wi-Fi ensures quick wireless connections. And lastly, do speedy data transfers with the various high-strung Thunderbolt and other ports.
- An ultra-smooth and eye-catchy display
- Massive memory and storage
- Cool keyboard and multi-gesture support Imagepad
- Good battery life
- It is 2 in 1 with an Active Stylus and HP Sleeve
- The fan is a bit noisy
- Perhaps a little heavy
Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with 10th Gen Intel Core i5
- 12.3″ 2K 2736 x 1824px touchscreen display
- 10th Gen Intel core i5-1035G4 Quad-core Processor
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM and 128GB Flash SSD storage
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics integration
- 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0
- 10 hours average battery life
- 1x USB C and 1x USB A port
- 1.7 pounds
The last one on my list is quite a sensible, sleek and attractive laptop with a standout design. This Microsoft’s all-in-one laptop also serves the function of a laptop, a mini-cinema, and a tablet leaving you with plenty of choices to work and inspire others.
The 12.3 inches wide tablet with a cool 2736 x 1824px resolution, has a kickstand at its back and an attachable/detachable compact type cover (keyboard). The Intel Iris Plus Graphics support enriches the visual presentation and delivers a crystal clear display.
This compact laptop comes with a 10th Generation Intel Core i5 Processor, 8GB memory, and 128GB Flash SSD storage. It has Windows 10 Home Operating system. The battery is quite handy and longer-lasting and gets charged so promptly.
Its 802.11ax standard Wi-Fi 6 ensures a stable and fast wireless connection and its Bluetooth 5.0 ascertains quick connections. It has both the USB A and USB C ports and definitely. And finally its weight, just amazing i.e. 1.7 pounds, even less than a Kilogram. So you are good to carry it everywhere alongside you.
- A sturdy kickstand at tablet’s back – an all in one machine
- Smooth visual display
- Fast processor
- Power-efficient memory
- Stunningly lightweight and portable
- The heavy side bezels
- No antiglare screen
HP Pavilion x360 14 Convertible 2-in-1 Laptop for Phd Students
- 10th Gen Intel core i5-1035G1 Quad-core processor
- Efficient 8GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM and 512GB storage
- 14″ FHD 1920 X 1080px diagonal, IPS, and WLED display
- Intel UHD Graphics support
- 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0
- 8+ hours average battery life
- 2x USB 3.0 and other ports and SD Card reader
- HD webcam, rich audio and gesture reading Touchpad
HP Pavilion, the 6th one on my list is yet another all-in-one laptop since it has a 360 degrees hinge i.e. it’s a laptop for everyday computing tasks, a studio (stand/tent mode) for entertainment purposes, and a tablet for drawing, and note-taking, etc.
It features a 14 inches diagonal, IPS, WLED backlit, and narrow-edged glassy touchscreen display with an edge-to-edge responsive touch and Full HD 1920 x 1080px display. It has a beautiful backlit keyboard, assuring that you enjoy nonstop working, no matter its day or night.
The laptop comes with a fast 10th Generation Intel core i5-1035G1 Quad-core processor with a 1.0GHz base and up to 3.6GHz boosted processing speed. Ensure fast boot-ups and smooth working with its 8GB memory and 512GB SSD storage. All the go-throughs are performed by Windows 10 Home O.S.
The battery gets charged quickly with the HP fast charge technology and gives you a considerably stable stand for hours. The inbuilt BIOS recovery and protection keeps the system secure and healthy and rectifies the boot-up issues automatically. In the end, experience a stable wireless connection via its latest and speedy Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0.
- Use it as a multi-purpose gadget
- Ultra-responsive glass touchscreen
- Efficient processor, memory, and storage
- Rapid wireless connectivity
- Cool backlit keyboard
- Just an average battery life
- Not an antiglare screen
By now, I am so sure that you would have found the answer to your search query, “best laptop for PhD students”. Yeah, it of course is natural to equip yourself with the required gadgets when you are planning to pursue some certain objective.
Yours’s is Ph.D., so you would require an outperforming laptop that can go smooth with all your feverish workloads and patterns.
I, above in the article, have picked and discussed the best laptops for Ph.D. students, since they are best in memory, storage, processing, battery, display size and most of them are quite lightweight so that you can be productive even when being on a go.
My top pick for you is “New Apple MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Chip”, for its more than stunning specs. Otherwise, all of the picks are so much astutely made, keeping your requirements in mind, that you are good to go with anyone from the list.
Wishing you ease and success!