You can check your maximum RAM capacity on Windows by the following methods:
- The cmd or administrator method
- Downloading CPU-Z
- WIN + Pause method
- Cntrl + Shift + Esc to know about the slots your computer’s using and available memory
Let’s discuss them one by one about how to check maximum RAM capacity.
4 Ways to Check the Maximum RAM Capacity On Windows
If you want to check the maximum RAM capacity so here you get the 4 best ways that you can follow to check it.
1. Cmd or administrator method – how much RAM can my laptop take?
- Type cmd in your search box.
- Right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
- When the prompt opens, type “wmic memphysical get maxcapacity” and press enter.
- You will see the max capacity of your RAM. However, the capacity shown will be in KB. You can easily convert KBs into GBs by using kilobytes to gigabytes converter. This will let you know how much RAM your system supports.
- To find max capacity per stick, you’ll need to perform a calculation: Divide the max capacity with 104576. Whatever answer you get, divide it by the max slots your computer supports. For example, after dividing a max capacity of 68219975 by 1048576, you get 65. Let’s say you’ve 4 slots of RAM. So, 65 / 4 = 16. That is the max capacity your motherboard can accept on a single RAM slot.
2. Download CPU-Z
CPU-Z is an app for Windows that presents a complete overview of what’s inside your laptop.
- Download it from https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html.
- There are two versions: Classic and Custom. Both of these have their own requirements. So, do check them before downloading any of the versions.
- After it is downloaded and installed, right-click on its icon and Run as administrator.
- On the Mainboard of the app, you’ll see the manufacturer of your mainboard. On the Memory tab, you’ll see information about the RAM you’re using and so on.
3. WIN + Pause method
To know about the max memory installed in your computer, follow these steps.
- Press Windows key + Pause key.
- The System tray will open containing all the information about your PC.
- In the View basic information about your computer, scroll down to see System. There, you’ll find Installed memory (RAM). This is RAM you currently have on your PC.
4. Ctrl + Shift + Esc method
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc together.
- You’ll be taken to Task Manager.
- There, find the Performance tab and click on Memory.
- First, you’ll see Memory usage, then Memory composition. Below the memory composition, toward the right corner, you’ll see Slots used. Hover your mouse cursor on it to know how many slots you’re using and what is their memory capacity.
How do I find the ram capacity of my computer?
Search for cmd in the search bar of Windows.
Right-click on the program to Run as administrator.
Type wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, MemoryDevices.
You’ll get MaxCapacity and MemoryDevices values. Divide the max capacity with the number of slots your device has and you’ll get the max capacity of each individual slot.
Go to “About this Mac” from the drop-down Apple menu.
There, go to “More Info”.
You’ll get information about the RAM, capacity, how many memory slots you’ve used, and the model of the RAM your Mac supports.
How do I find maximum RAM capacity?
Double click on my computer and right-click anywhere below where your storage drivers are located and click on properties, a new window will pop up which will then show you your Maximum RAM capacity.
What is the max RAM for Windows 10?
There are plenty of discrepancies on versions of Windows 10 you may use, these discrepancies include RAM specifications support. For example, Windows 10
How to Check Maximum RAM Capacity – Conclusion
How to check maximum RAM capacity of your PC is important to question if you want to upgrade anytime soon. You can do that by going to the cmd and running the command I gave above, downloading and installing CPU-Z, or just following the rest of the methods mentioned above. You should perform them to be sure of what kind of RAM and what capacity you could go for before upgrading.