There are two ways you can connect a PS5 console to a laptop. One is a free (no cost) method – by using Sony’s Remote Play feature. And the other one involves spending a few additional bucks where you’d need to get a video capture card for the purpose.
Well, far and away, that joy of playing your PS5 games on a spacious hi-res TV is, yea, absolutely matchless. But it’s also true that you have nowhere near a monopoly on the TV lounge. Jokes apart, you cannot always drive into a corner and be on TV to enjoy your console gaming.
So the ultimate way out to have a break-free, termless, and boundless PS5 gaming is to stream all your console games to your portable device like laptop, phone, etc. And kudos to Sony for its Remote Play (App) feature, connecting and streaming console games on a laptop is so easy-peasy now.
How is that done? How to connect PS5 to a laptop with or without remote play? How to stream console games on a laptop or PC or phone, etc.? I’ve got you covered for all this below in the article.
Do Never Confuse Remote Play with PlayStation Now
First of all, let me clear up this thing to you. The Remote Play and PS Now both are Sony’s ancillary PlayStation gaming services, but these two are nowise the same.
What Is PlayStation Now?
PlayStation Now is Sony’s cloud gaming subscription-based service. It allows you to enjoy all the PlayStation (PS2, 3, 4 5) games on your laptop even if you don’t have a console. So with PS Now, you are actually streaming all the games from Sony’s servers to your device. And thus you pay some monthly fee for it.
What is Remote Play?
On the other hand, Remote Play App is a streaming feature by Sony (for its PS3, PS4, and PS5 consoles) allowing the console to transmit its audio and video output to another device.
Remote Play App allows you to stream the games that you already own on your console (PS5 in this case) to your compatible device like a laptop or computer, etc. So, unlike PS Now, Remote Play is not a subscription or fee-based service, but you need to have a console already to use this feature.
So How to Connect PS5 to Laptop?
Well, connecting the console to a laptop isn’t as easy as is making the console-TV connection with just an HDMI cable. While TVs always feature an HDMI (video) input port, in the case of console-laptop connection, there are HDMI output ports on both the sides – console and laptop both carry HDMI-OUT ports.
And we know that an HDMI cable is a unidirectional cable that carries signals from a source (the output) to a destination (the input). So because unlike TV, there is no input port on either side, the HDMI cable is not gonna do the job here.
The only two ways you can connect your PS5 console to your laptop are:
- By using the Sony Remote Play feature
- Via video capture card
1: How to Connect PS5 to Laptop Via Remote Play?
Well, I hope there is no need to talk apropos of what this Remote Play is as I’ve already explained it earlier above. So let’s get straight to how this whole setup works.
And here is the step-by-step guide on how to set up this whole rig.
#1. Preliminary Requirements for Setting Up Remote Play
The very first thing you need to do, before opting for the Remote Play method, is to make sure that you have all the system’s prerequisites fulfilled.
That required preliminary setup for Remote Play include:
- A laptop having Windows 10 OS (both 32bit and 64bit are acceptable).
- The laptop must have a 7th Gen processor (at least 2.6GHz clocking speed). Rest, the improved, the better.
- It must have at least 2GB of RAM. And 100MB of free storage space is a strict minimum.
- Display resolution needs to be at least 1024 x 768 px.
- You must have a PS5 console (a console with the latest version of system software is preferred).
- Definitely, a PlayStation Network Account is required as well (it’s the account you use for your PS5 console).
- A stout and speedy internet connection is needed – at least 5Mbps. Otherwise, Sony recommends a 15Mbps (via LAN cable) connection for the best experience throughout.
- And finally, you’d need a USB cable too (to connect the PlayStation Controller to the laptop).
Once you have made sure you are squared away with all this, you can now head to the next steps.
#2. Download the Remote Play App – It’s Available for Both Windows and macOS
You can simply visit Sony’s official website to download the Remote Play app. Check out and download the latest version available. Because the more updated the app, the more pleasant will be your experience with it.
Do make sure you check the app’s compatibility with your system before clicking the download button. Then just download it, run the installation file, and follow all the on-screen instructions to install the app properly.
#3. Setting Up Your PS5 Console
After the installation process is done, there are a few one-time settings you will need to do to set up your PS5 for streaming. So to enable the Remote Play feature on your PS5 console, here is what to do step-by-step:
- Power On your console and go to the home screen.
- From there, go to Settings > System, and finally Remote Play.
- Thither in the Remote Play menu, switch ON the Enable Remote Play.
You’d better keep your console at “rest mode” to have a richer and smoother gameplay experience. For that i.e. to start Remote Play while your console is in rest mode:
- Again go to Home screen > Settings > System > Power Saving, and then Features Available in Rest Mode.
- Finally, turn ON Stay Connected to the Internet and Enable Turning on PS5 from Network both (so if your console is in rest mode, you can remotely awaken her for streaming).
#4. Getting Started with the Remote Play App
Now when you are done with all the preparatory stages, let’s formally start the Remote Play app. You’d need to repeat all these steps each time you make the console-device connection.
- Turn the console On and better put it in rest mode.
- Connect your PlayStation Controller to your laptop.
- For Wired connection: use the USB cable – plug it into the laptop’s USB port.
- For Wireless Controller: press the PlayStation and Share buttons, both at once, to put the controller into Bluetooth pairing mode. Turn the laptop’s Bluetooth On > Search for new device > and connect the controller.
- Open the already installed Remote Play app. Click Sign in to PSN.
- Do sign in with that same account i.e. your PS5 console account.
- After a few pop-ups, you’ll be prompted to the main screen where you’ll see: Which do you want to connect to? “PS5 or PS4”.
Click on the Settings button and set the Resolution and FPS according to your laptop’s capacity and internet speed to get an optimal gameplay performance.
- Select PS5 from that screen. The app will start searching for the PS5 console that’s connected to your account and will automatically connect to it.
- Once done, you will see your PS5 console’s screen reflecting on your laptop’s display. Hurrah! You are all set to use the Remote Play feature and stream all your PS5 games on your laptop.
In case of multiple (PS5) consoles, select the one you’d like to use. And next time, you’ll be able to easily select and connect to that specific console.
If your console gaming rig is connected to an external display, say a TV or a monitor, that supports HDR, you can even use Remote Play with HDR video quality.
Here is how to do that:
- Go to your console’s Home screen > Settings > Screen and Video > Video Output > and thither, set HDR to Automatic.
- Install one of the HEVC video extensions on your device and also turn On the HDR settings on your (external) display.
- Go to your device’s (PC) settings > System > Display > Windows HD Color Settings > and flip Play HDR Games and Apps switch ON.
- Then, simply launch the Remote Play app on your device and sign in.
- Finally, go to Settings > Video Quality for Remote Play > and check the Enable HDR box.
#5. To Quit Remote Play
To shut off the Remote Play app, just click on the Cross (X) mark at the top right corner of your Remote Play screen. Click OK, or whatsoever it is, accordingly for each message you are prompted to afterward.
2: Connecting PS5 to Laptop Without Remote Play – Using Video Capture Card
This one, as mentioned in the intro para, is the cost-involved approach for connecting the console to a device other than that usual TV. A video capture card is a hardware device that converts the video signals coming from some other source to digital signals that your computer can recognize.
It is one of the best ways to satisfy your gaming craves, but yeah, you’d have to spend a few extra bucks to get the gadgets – capture card, USB-C to USB-A adapter, etc.
Well, before going down to how it works, let’s first check out what are the requirements that you must fulfill before going for this method.
So, first of all, you’d need to have a well-set gaming laptop and, yeah, a PS5 console definitely. You’d also need to have a quality capture card as well. Furthermore, you’d have to get a USB-C to USB-A adapter and an HDMI cable as well (because a capture card comes asking for both these cables). And finally, a speedy internet connection is also critical.
So, let’s now find out how it’s gonna be put to action.
Setting Up Video Capture Card for PS5 Streaming
Here is the step-by-step guide on how to configure this rig.
Make sure your laptop has a USB 3.0 port because only a USB A 3.0 is gonna give you that level of gaming performance.
- Well, firstly, you’d need to make the following connections:
- Connect capture card to laptop via USB A 3.0 port – USB-C side in capture card and the other end in the laptop.
- Connect capture card to laptop/PC via S-video cable (S-video cable carries not only video but audio signals too).
- Connect HDMI-IN to capture card and HDMI-OUT to your PS5 console.
- Now, go to your console’s Home screen > Settings > Network Settings > and Enable the File Sharing (you’ll get access to the internet connection).
- Then, search for and download (and install) the high-quality game capture software (search for the capture card’s brand on the internet and install its official software).
- Finally, power On the console, run the installation on the downloaded software and launch the game capture application on your laptop or PC.
You’ll see that the application will start searching for all the available consoles and will ultimately catch your console and display it on the screen. All you need to do then is to connect to the console simply. And boom! You are all set to stream your PS5 games on your laptop or PC now.
The thing is, if you want to connect your PS5 console to your laptop or PC, you’d need to go a bit complex. You’d need to do a bit more than what’s usually done while connecting a console to a TV. Yea, because you cannot connect PS5 to a laptop via HDMI simply.
Then, how to connect PS5 to laptop? Well, you can stream your PS5 games on your laptop, etc., either by using the Sony PS Remote Play app or by getting a capture card.
Both the methods are discussed in extreme detail above. So just give it a scroll up if you want to know every single thing regarding this.