Every individual on this planet has the right to own property, valuable assets, and things that might hold potential value for them.
And it is textbook knowledge that there is always a chance of these things may get stolen from you by other individuals that are also sharing this planet with us.
To prevent such misfortune from happening, extra security countermeasures are taken place such as barring the entrance of your home or locking away your precious assets in a box or keeping it in a bank.
However, when it comes to keeping your digital data safe, securing them through these methods might get a little impractical than you may have thought.
And thinking outside the box seems much more reasonable. So for such dire circumstances of data protection, one such company is known as Absolute software has come forward to create a software known as Computerace which enables cutting edge protection from pesky intruders.
It is a robust, slick, and potent security feature that is integrated into almost all reputable brands across the globe, however, removing it from your laptop can be a little problematic.
Well, if that is the case, then i will show you how to remove Computrace from a laptop, so don’t break a sweat and focus on my steps mentioned below and you will be good to go, promise!
But I would suggest holding your horses and reading up on what exactly the software does, so you can make a proper judgment on whether or not you might want to remove it.
What Is Computrace? And Why Exactly Is It Such A Big Deal?
To sum it up in simple and plain words, computrace is a form of anti-theft software which is more or less embedded in your hardware through kernel level and can be accessed through BIOS menu settings.
As mentioned above, it is the brainchild of Absolute Software who has come up with a clever way to track intruders or thieves that might steal your laptop.
The logic behind how it works is pretty simple: it signals its host which is located at the Absolute software monitoring center as a database and tries to connect to them through any possible internet connection available to it once the anti-theft sensors have been triggered.
This not only logs the location of the laptop but also pinpoints every activity that is happening as well as gives you an exact region where the laptop is currently at and also contacts the local police at the same time.
Although the service does come at a cost, it ensures that you, the consumer, get the best possible security measure against getting your laptop stolen.
This makes Computrace which is also known as Lojack, one of the best, stubborn and hard-to-remove software because it is integrated into the hardware of the laptop.
But let me tell you it isn’t impossible to remove and here is how you can do it yourself.
Steps On How To Remove Computrace From A Laptop
I will explain this process in simple steps and keep the level of the tech-savvy wordings to a minimum, however, be advised once you remove this program, there is no going back, which means say bye-bye to Computrace forever.
So make your mind and weigh your options very well before proceeding to remove this security feature for whatever reason that is.
There are two methods by the way, here is the first one.
1. Through BIOS Mode
- First, you need to restart your laptop and enter the BIOS settings.
- In order to do that, you need to press the corresponding BIOS key, which might be either F2 or F10, depending on the model of laptop you own.
- After entering BIOS mode, proceed to the security tab at the upper right area with the help of your keyboard since the mouse won’t be working in this mode.
- In the Security tab, disable the Computrace security option and press enter.
- It might take a while depending on the speeds of your laptop, now press Exit and save and restart your laptop.
- You are all set, enjoy!
2. Through Windows Uninstaller Utility
This method is pretty straight forward and you might be familiar with uninstalling the unwanted programs through windows uninstaller utility but for my buddies that don’t know how to do it themselves, here are the steps mentioned below.
- Enter the Windows key on your keyboard or click the start button on the lower left side of your screen.
- Now head over to the control panel and look for “Program” options.
- There will be plenty of bloatware and other software which are installed on your laptop available to you.
- Now find the Lojack Computrace program and double click on it.
- It will take a while to uninstall it and you will be good to go.
So you are all set and free from the Computrace program, make sure to read all the caveats and attributes of this software mentioned below before proceeding with this process.
In the meantime, I hope this article about how to remove Computrace from a laptop was well worth the read and plenty beneficial for you, have a nice day.