PlayStation 4, a home video gaming console developed by Sony Inc. is indeed a perfect solution to all your gaming craves for it is being backed by some more than stunning features and hundreds of quality games. Nine out of ten times, it is a T.V which is used as a digital playground at home but imagine the worst scenario where, all of a sudden, your T.V goes out of order.
Your ultimate wish at the moment?
Let me guess. Perhaps you would say, I wish I could know how to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4, Right?
Let me overjoy you by saying that it is of course possible to use your laptop for PS4 gaming. Scroll down below and see how it is done.
How to Use Laptop as a Monitor for PS4 – 3 Ways Nobody Know
Well, a T.V used as a screen for console gaming, makes sense because we know that a television exhibits video input. Insert an HDMI cable over there and you are all set to relish the moments. But using your laptop as a screen for PS4 gaming is not that easy. Why? Let me clarify it below.
Keep in mind that:
- A laptop’s HDMI port is an output port
- The console’s an HDMI port as well as an output port.
- And an HDMI cable is a unidirectional cable i.e. it carries signals from one source (output) to some destination (input).
Now imagine an HDMI cable connected to a laptop on one side and to the console on the other side i.e. both sides output. So would it generate any result? Never. Then what is the solution?
Below given are the ways you can connect your laptop as a monitor for PS4. Check them out.
Ways to Connect Laptop to PS4
Since it is not the game of just simply connecting an HDMI cable, then it must be something else. Yes, there are three widely used methods for it i.e.
- Using the Remote Play feature
- Using a Video Capture Card
- Via PlayStation Now
Each one is discussed quite in detail below.
#1. Connecting Laptop to PS4 via Remote Play
Remote play: A streaming feature launched by Sony itself enabling you to stream and play all your favorite console games on your preferred compatible devices like Laptop, Phone, etc.
You need to ensure that the following requisites are fulfilled, prior to going for the Remote Play feature i.e. You must have:
- A laptop having Windows 10 O.S or at least Windows 8.1. Both 32 and 64 bit are acceptable.
- The processing speed of at least 2.6GHz. The faster, the better.
- Not less than 100MB free storage space and a minimum of 2GB RAM is a must.
- A PS4 console, account, and system software 3.50 or later.
- At least a normal HD display resolution i.e. 1024 x 768px minimum
- A strong internet connection.
- And a USB cable to insert into the laptop’s USB slot.
Downloading Remote Play
The Remote Play app can be easily downloaded from Sony’s official website. The more updated its version, the better will be your experience with it. Keep in mind to check its compatibility with your system prior to download.
Setting it Up
After the download is done, follow some of these simple steps to frame up the things.
- Power On your console.
- Keep in mind that the console’s software must be up to date i.e. 3.50 at least. You can easily update it via the “System Software Update”.
- Open the PS4 settings and then;
- Go to the “Account settings”, and set this console as the “Primary Active PS4”.
- Down into the console’s settings, enable the Remote Play connection. This way, the Remote Play will access the network and will start interacting with the console.
- Better keep your console at “rest mode” to enjoy a much smoother gameplay experience. For this, you would have to look for the “Power Save Settings”. Over there, set all the features available in rest mode.
- Enable Turning On the PS4 from the network.
When you are all done with the setup, it’s now time to actually start using this beast feature.
- Install the already downloaded Remote Play App, and open it.
- Set up the “Resolution” and “FPS”, according to your laptop’s optimum performance so that you can enjoy smoother and captivating gameplay. Get started then.
- Connect the “PlayStation Controller” to the laptop;
- Wired connection i.e. via a USB cable into the laptop`s USB port.
- Wireless connection i.e. simultaneously press the “PlayStation and Share” buttons on the controller. It will put the controller into Bluetooth pairing mode. Then connect with it via the laptop’s Bluetooth settings and enjoy a wireless control experience.
- As soon as the controller’s LED stripe starts flashing, it is all set to use.
- Log into the Remote Play App, fill out all the credentials. Make sure that the console is Powered On.
- Hurrah! Done and Dusted! Play and have fun.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that your internet connection must be strong and stable. If not, you might face issues.
#2. Connecting Via a Video Capture Card
“How to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4?” Well, the second widely used method involves connecting the laptop to the console via a Video capture card. No doubt it is a much easier way to satisfy your gaming craves but yeah, you would have to spend a few cents in order to arrange the peripherals i.e. a video capture card, etc.
Check out below the other preliminary arrangements you would have to make before opting for this method.
- A competent laptop and a PS4 console, definitely.
- A Video Capture Card.
- A stable internet connection, of course.
- A USB-C to USB-A and HDMI adapter.
- “File sharing” enabled via the console`s network settings.
To frame the system up and working, you’ll have to:
- Make sure that your laptop has a USB-A, 3.0 port
- Enable the “File sharing” option from the console’s network settings menu to get access to the internet connection.
- Download and install the high-quality game capture official software.
- Make the following connections;
- Connect the capture card to the laptop via the USB port i.e. USB-A.
- Connect the capture card to the console via an S-video cable.
- Make sure that the HDMI-IN is connected to the Video Capture Card whereas the HDMI-OUT to the console.
- Power “On” the console
- Now run the installation on, and launch the game capture application on your laptop.
- You will see the application searching for the available consoles and ultimately it will display your’s console on the screen.
- Go ahead. Give it a Griff. You are now all set to ace the ultimate competitions via your laptop screen.
#3. Using the “PlayStation Now”
Thinking about PlayStation Now? Well, it is Sony’s own subscription-based gaming service enabling you to play and enjoy all the PlayStation games on your laptop without literally having the console. WOW! It means you won`t have to purchase the console now.
Seeing that it is such a great service, you definitely will be charged some fee i.e. on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis. But if you look into the features, you won’t regret paying for them.
Well, I don’t want you to pay at the moment. Rather, I wish you just give it a check. It comes with a 7-days free trial so you better try.
How to Get Started
First and foremost, you are required to download the PlayStation Now feature from Sony’s official website and then install it.
How to Use
After you are done with the installation;
- Open the installed setup and fill up the particulars to Sign-In.
- Over there, click on “Start Free Trial”
- After that, you will be asked to select your payment mode i.e. monthly, quarterly, or yearly so that soon when your trial period ends, you will automatically be deducted for that amount. All this to ensure non-stop gameplay.
- But you don’t have to worry about that. Because it is quite easy to unsubscribe later. Thus, select one and go further.
- Choose the version and sign in to your Sony account. (From now on, this one account will work for both i.e. Sony and PlayStation Now)
- Once again click on the “7-day Free Trial”.
- Connect the controller to your laptop and you are all set the rock the stage.
If you don’t like the service, better cancel out and abandon things prior to the expiration of the 7-day free trial.
To cancel the subscription, go into the Main settings and search for the Account management settings. Over there, seek out the Account info and PlayStation Now subscription. Turn it “off”.
Since it is generally perceived that you can not enjoy PlayStation gaming without a T.V, monitor, etc. many of the gamers don’t know that a laptop can also serve this function and they don’t have any idea as to how to use a laptop as a monitor for PS4.
Indeed, it is possible. The article basically was aimed to help you out in this concern. There are various methods you can follow to use your laptop as a monitor for PlayStation gaming. Although each method certainly comes with some drawbacks too i.e. a sound hardware requirement for Remote Play, a little extra investment in the Capture card method, and the subscription cost in the later one.
But still, the investment is worth it. Try the one which suits you the best.